Oklahoma’s oldest institution of higher education, the University of Central Oklahoma ranks as the third-biggest university in the state with an enrollment of 16,000 students with all 50 states and more than 100 countries represented.
Founded on Dec. 24, 1890 as Territorial Normal School, the school went through numerous name changes before becoming the University of Central Oklahoma on July 1, 1991 as part of the university’s 1990-91 centennial celebration. The campus has undergone a massive facelift over the last several years that included the addition of a new classroom building for the College of Education and major renovations to the University Center, Science Building, Communications Annex, Business Building and the Library. On-campus apartments were built just west of Hamilton Field House in the summer of 1999, with additional units added in the summer of 2001. A state-of-the-art Wellness Center was built in 2003 and Wantland Stadium ranks as one of the finest football facilities in NCAA Division II.
About 70 percent of UCO’s students come from Oklahoma County with more than 90 percent from within the state. Nearly one-fourth of UCO’s total enrollment is comprised of graduate students pursuing one of 24 master’s degrees offered by the university.
Although begun as a Territorial Normal School whose mission was to prepare teachers for common schools, UCO is now a comprehensive, regional university serving the central Oklahoma metroplex with an offering of 112 degree options in six academic colleges. The university includes the College of Business Administration, College of Education, College of Liberal Arts, College of Mathematics and Science, College of Fine Arts and Design and a Graduate College. Average class size is 25. Over half of the professors, associate professors, assistant professors, instructors and lecturers are full-time faculty complemented by adjunct faculty representing areas of expertise from the community.
The 210-acre campus is topped by the historic Old North Tower. The landmark, first used for classes on Jan. 2, 1893 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and dedicated as a national historic site in 1982.
UCO is the largest industry in Edmond, a continually growing suburban community located on the north boundary of Oklahoma City at the geographic center of Oklahoma.
UCO is accredited by the North Central Association and the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and holds numerous departmental accreditations.